Jonghoon Bae is a Professor of Organization Theory at Seoul National University. He received his Ph.D. in management from INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France. Prior to joining Seoul National University, he worked as an assistant professor at Tilburg University, the Netherlands as well as at Korea University.
His research focuses on the network structure of exchange involving multiple persons or organizations. In particular, his research examines two related questions: coordination and innovation. The first line of research looks into the efficient structure of information flow among social actors to a given exchange to coordinate their own investments and efforts. The second line of research builds on the first line of research and concerns whether the efficient structure of information flow is instrumental to innovation by incumbents or entrepreneurial activities by start-ups.
His analyses of these questions have been published in Academy of Management Journal, Industrial and Corporate Change, Strategic Organization, Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory as well as Advances in Strategic Management.
|Ph.D.||INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France
July, 2004. Ph.D., Management
Dissertation: “Competition and Network Dynamics: Search for New Capabilities and Firm Growth in the Telecommunications Industry, 1991-1999”
Committee: Martin Gargiulo (Chair), Fabrizio Castellucci, Javier Gimeno
|M.A||Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Feb., 1998. M.B.A. (M.Phil. equivalent)
Specialized in Human Resource Management and Organization Theory
Thesis (Advisor: Kyungmook Lee): “A Study on the Interfirm Networks and Firm Strategic Behavior”
|B.A||Feb., 1994. B.A., Business Administration (Honors)|
[ACADEMIC POSITIONS ]
- Korea University School of Business,
Korea University, Seoul, Korea
Assistant Professor of Management (2006 - 2009)
- Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
Tilburg University, Tilburg, the Netherlands
Assistant Professor of Organization and Strategy (2004 - 2006)
- Editorial board member, Journal of Management Studies (2011-present)
- Jonghoon Bae, Young-Jae Cha, Hyungsuk Lee, Boyun Lee, Sojung Baek, Semin Choi & Dayk Jang. 2017. “Social Networks and Inference about Unknown Events: A case of the Match between Google’s AlphaGo and Sedol Lee.”PLoS ONE, 12(2): e0171472.
- Jonghoon Bae, Janghyuk Lee, Seok-Chul Baek, Sukwon Kang & Hyung Noh. 2013. “Long-Distance Diffusion and Stronlgy Tied Bridges: The Influence of the Originator’s Network.” Strategic Organization, 11 (2), 157-179.
- Jonghoon Bae, Filippo Carlo Wezel & Jun Koo. 2011. “Cross-cutting Ties, Organizational Density, and New Firm Formation in the US Biotech Industry, 1994-1998.” Academy of Management Journal, 54 (2), 295-311.
- Jonghoon Bae & Jun Koo. 2009. “The Nature of Local Knowledge and New Firm Formation.” Industrial and Corporate Change, 18 (3), 473-496.
- Jun Koo, Jonghoon Bae, & Dohyeoung Kim. 2009. “What does it take to become a biotech hot spot?” Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 27 (4), 665-683.
- Inseong Song & Jonghoon Bae (corresponding author). 2016. “Politics, Strong Institution and Competitive Advantage: An Examiniation of Organizational Aspiration for Competition.” Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, 22 (4), 412-443.
- Inhyun Han, Seungwoo Kwon, Jonghoon Bae, & Kyungdo Park. 2012. “When are integrative tactics more effective?: The moderating effects of moral identity and the use of distributive tactics.” International Journal of Conflict Management. 23 (2), 133-150.
- Jonghoon Bae & Jun Koo. 2008. “Information Loss, Knowledge Transfer Cost and the Value of Social Relations.” Strategic Organization, 6 (3), 227-258.
- Javier Gimeno, Ming-Jer Chen, & Jonghoon Bae. 2006. “Dynamics of Competitive Repositioning: A Multidimensional Approach.” Advances in Strategic Management, 23, 399-441.
- Jonghoon Bae & Martin Gargiulo. 2004. “Partner Substitutability, Alliance Network Structure, and Firm Profitability in the Telecommunications Industry.” Academy of Management Journal, 47 (6), 843-859.
[PUBLICATIONS (In Korean Journals) ]
- Jonghoon Bae. 2018. “Blockchain as a myth of the decentralized processing system,” Review of Fair Economy, 3(2), #3: 1-13.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2017. “Relations and Inference: A Structuralist View,” Korean Journal of Management, 25(3), 49-82.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2017. “On Regreful Hierarchy.” Seoul Journal of Business, 23 (1), 39-57.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2016. “Bureaucratic Rules, the Sacrifice Ritual and Change Management,” Korean Journal of Management, 24(2), 43-76.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2014. “Illegitimacy Discount, Sensistivity to Trivial Difference and Distance-Keeping Competition,” Journal of Strategic Management, 17(2), 27-45.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2013. “The Firm, the Market and la Distinction: Lessions from the Theory of the Firm,” Korean Journal of Management, 18(3), 153-193.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2010. “ The Boundaries of Brokerage-based Knowledge Transfer,” Korean Journal of Management, 18(4), 1-31.
- Jonghoon Bae & Sung-choon Kang. 2010. “The Elements of Learning: Coordination Capacity and Search Scale,” Korean Journal of Management, 18(2), 1-30.
- Johngseok Bae, Min Soo Kim, Yangmin Kim, Jonghoon Bae, & Hongseok Oh. 2009. “Competing Paradigms and Research in Management: A Comparison of Liberalism and Communitarianism,” Korean Journal of Management , 17 (2), 17-93.
[INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS]
- Academy of Management Meeting 2015, Vancouver, Canada (Aug 8)
“The Variation in Global Talent Management” in a PDW titled as“Globalization through Global Talent” (Role: discussant)
- The 2nd Competitive Dynamics International Forum, National Chengchi University, Taiwan, Sept. 2011.
“Two forms of competition and the evolution of firm heterogeneity” (with J. Jung, & T. Cho).
- Mitsubishi UFJ Foundation International Conference, Hayama, Japan, Aug. 2010.
“Red Queen Process and Technological Innovation”.
- Academy of Management Meeting 2009, Chicago, Illinois
“Innovation and the Contingent Value of Complementary Assets” (with Jaiho Chung and Jun Koo).
- 6th Asia Academy of Management Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 2008.
“Innovatoins in Korea: Absorptive Capacity, External Capabilities, Organizational Networks” (with Yonghoon Lee).
- Academy of Management Meeting 2008, Anaheim, California
“Strength in Numbers? Status-based Homophily and Multiparty Alliances” (with Jingoo Kang, and Lori Rosenkopf).
“Shared Emotion in Groups: The Role of the Network Structure on Affective Conversation” (with Seung-Yoon Rhee, Hyewon Park, and Hyoung Koo Moon).
- Academy of Management Meeting 2005, Honolulu, Hawaii
“Competition in the Evolution of Capabilities: A Case of Communications Equipment Industry”
- 27th annual APPAM research conference, Washington, DC., 2005.
“Knowledge constraint and new firm formation” (with Jun Koo).
- Academy of Management Meeting 2002, Denver, Colorado.
“Network Evolution and Efficient Alliance Strategies” (with Martin Gargiulo)
“Inclusive Transactions in Substitutable Ties: A Longitudinal Study of Competition in Cooperation”
- AMR Writers’ Theory Development Workshop, Academy of Management Meeting 2002, Denver, Colorado.
“Networks with Substitutable Ties: A Model of Competition in Cooperative Relationships”
- The 21th Strategic Management Society Conference, San Francisco, 2001.
“Choosing the Right Alliance Portfolio: Knowledge Transfer and Network Profile” (Runner-up for Booz.Allen&Hamilton/SMS Phd Fellowship)
- Cho, M., Jonghoon Bae, Chung, J., Kang, S., Kim, D. 2018. “Competitive strategy and challenge for the chaebol”, in Strategic, Policy, and Social Innovation for a Post-Industrial Korea (eds. by J.N. Choi, Y.S. Lee, & G-W. Shin). London: Routledge.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2012. “The Order of Things without the Self,” Seoul Journal of Industrial Relations (the Institute of Industrial Relations, Seoul National University), 23, 173-198.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2011. “Routine-based Choice in the Sample Space of an Organizational Problem: An Extension of Local Search,” Seoul Journal of Industrial Relations (the Institute of Industrial Relations, Seoul National University), 22, 123-147.
[TEACHING CASES & ESSAYS]
- 배종훈. 2013. 정치. Seoul Business Letter, April. 2013.
- 배종훈. 2013. 백년전 이야기. Seoul Business Letter, Feb. 2013.
- 배종훈. 2012. 던바 지수와 공감경영. Seoul Business Letter, June 2012.
- 강선영, 김은비, 배종훈. 2013. “공정무역 브랜드 그루”.
- Jonghoon Bae. 2012. “Smart Phone as Disruptive Technologies: the Case of LG Electronics,” the Institute of Management Research at Seoul National University.
- Kyungmook Lee & Jonghoon Bae. 2011. “SK Telecom and SK Networks: Designing Corporate Growth,” the Institute of Management Research at Seoul National University.