Sung-Choon Kang is an Associate Dean of Student Affairs and a Professor of Human Resource Management at Seoul National University Business School. Prior to joining SNU in 2008, He was an assistant professor at Korea University from 2006 to 2007. He has a BBA Degree from Seoul National University and received his PhD in Human Resource Management from Cornell University.
His research has focused on Strategic Human Resource Management, Human Capital, Managing Star Employees and Professionals, Compensation, Knowledge Management and Organizational Learning, and Social Capital. His articles have appeared in top HRM journals such as Academy of Management Review, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Journal of Management Studies, and Human Resource Management.
He has served on the editorial boards of Journal of Management, Asia Pacific Journal of Managment, Management and Organization Review, and Korean academy of Managment Journal.
Ph.D., Human Resource Management, Cornell University, 2006
MBA, Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management, Seoul National University, 1994
BA, College of Business Administration, Seoul National University, 1992
2008.2-present. Assistant professor, Graduate School of Business, Seoul National University
2006.2-2008.2. Assistant professor, School of Business, Korea University
2005.8-2005.12. Visiting scholar, School of Industrial & Labor Relations, Cornell University
1999.8-2005.5 Research Assistant, School of Industrial & Labor Relations, Cornell University
1994. 8-1997.6 - Instructor, Department of Management, Korea Air Force Academy
Ad hoc reviewer for Human Resource Management, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, British Journal of Management, Journal of Business Research, Strategic Entrepreneurial Journal, International Journal of Human Resource Management, The Service Industries Journal
[Awards and Honors]
2nd Place, Ralph Alexander Dissertation Award, Human Resource Division of the Academy of Management, 2006.
Teaching excellent award, Korea Air Force Academy. 1994.
Research Grant from CIPD in UK (with Scott Snell & Shad Morris), 2004
Research Grant from Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies (CAHRS) (with Scott Snell & Shad Morris), 2003
Undergraduate Student Fellowship, Seoul National University, 1988-91
- Kinnie, N., Swart, J., Lund, M., Morris, S., Snell, S. & Kang, S.-C. 2006. Managing People and Knowledge in Professional Service Firms. London, UK: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
[PUBLICATIONS AT INTERNATIONAL REFERRED JOURNALS]
- Kang, S.-C., Morris, S. S., & Snell, S. A. 2007. Relational Archetypes, Organizational learning, and value creation: Extending the human resource architecture. Academy of Management Review, 32(1): 236-256.
- Kwon, S. W. Kim, M. S., Kang, S.-C., Kim, M. H. 2008. Employee reactions to gainsharing under seniority pay systems: The mediation effects of distributive, procedural, and interactional justice. Human Resource Management. 47(4): 7457-776.
- Kang, S.-C., & Snell, S. A. 2009. Intellectual capital architectures and ambidextrous: A fr_x_amework for human resource management. Journal of Management Studies, 46(1): 65-92.
- Yanadori, Y., & Kang, S.-C. 2011. Intra-firm differentiation of compensation systems: Evidence from US high-technology firms. Human Resource Management Journal, 21(3): 236-257.
- Kang, S.-C., & Yanadori, Y. 2011. Adoption and coverage of performance-related pay during institutional change: An integration of institutional and agency theories. Journal of Management Studies, 48(8):1837-1865.
- Kang, S.-C., Snell, S. A., & Swart, J. 2012. Options-based HRM, intellectual capital, and exploratory and exploitative learning in law firms' practice groups. Human Resource Management, 51 (4), 461-485
- Kim, H., & Kang, S.-C. 2013. Strategic HR function and firm performance: The moderating effects of high-involvement work practices. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 30(1): 91-113.
- Shin, J. Y, Kang, S.-C., Hyun, J.-H., & Kim, B.-J. 2015. Determinants and performance effects of executive pay multiple: Evidences from Korea. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 68(1): 53-78.
- Dunford, B. B., Schleicher, D. J., Zhu, L., & Kang, S.-C. 2015. Unintended consequences of voluntary company stock investment. Academy of Management Proceeding.
- Yun, Y. H., Sim, J. A., Lim, Y. J., Lim, C. I., Kang, S.-C., Kang, J. H., & Noh, D. Y. 2016. Development and Validity Testing of the Worksite Health Index: An Assessment Tool to Help and Improve Korean Employees’Health-Related Outcome. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 58(6), 623-630.
- Sung, S. Y., Choi. J. N., Kang, S.-C. 2016. Incentive Compensation and Organizational Outcomes: Moderating Roles of Procedural Justice Climate and Environmental Turbulence. Human Resource Management.
[PUBLICATIONS AT KOREAN REFERRED JOURNALS]
- Kang, S-C., & Bae, J. 2007. What is not social capital? Korean Journal of Management, 15(3): 225-252.
- Kwon, S.W, Kim, M. S., & Kang, S.-C. 2007. The effects of internal and external equity on the organizational effectiveness. Korean Small Business Review, 29(1): 1-20
- Kang, S.-C. 2008. Boundaryless careers and knowledge creation. Journal of Industrial Relations. 19: 65-86.
- Kang, S.-C., & Yoon, H. 2009. Contextual fit for the use and effects of high performance work system. Korean Journal of Management, 17(4): 125-168.
- Kang, C.-C., & Kim, T. G. 2009. Opinion leaders, social capital, and innovations in teams. Seoul Journal of Business, 15(2): 137-156.
- Bae, J., & Kang, S.-C. 2010. The elements of learning: Coordination capacity and search scale. Korean Journal of Management, 18(2): 1-30.
- Kang, S.-C., Park, J, & Park, H.-H. 2011. Strategic human resource management in Korea: Where are we today and where do we go from now. Korean Journal of Management, 19(2):51-108.
- Chung, H. S., & Kang, S.-C. 2013. Sources of HR department power: Scale development and Validation. Seoul Journal of Business, 19(2): 95-126.
- Park, J.-S., Kang, S.-C., & Kim, H.-D. 2012. Does internal labor market really hider organizational innovation? Academy of Management, Boston, MA, USA
- Kang, S.-C. & Kim, J.-W. 2011. The effects of merit and sponsorship on interfirm career mobility. Academy of Management, San Antonio, TX, USA
- Kang, S.-C. 2010. The transformation and challenge of human resource management in Korea. Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada
- Yanadori, Y., & Kang, S.-C. 2009. Alternatives of employee pay mix and their implications for organizational human capital management. Academy of Management, Chicago, IL, USA
- Kang, S.-C., & Yanadori, Y. 2009. Adoption and implementation of performance-based pay under institutional change. Korea Academy of Management, Seoul, Korea
- Kang, S.-C., & Yanadori, Y. 2008. The adoption and design of performance-based pay under institutional change. Academy of Management, Anaheim, CA. USA
- Kim, H.-D., & Kang, S.-C. 2008. Strategic Involvement of HR Department and Firm Performance. Academy of Management, Anaheim, CA. USA
- Kang, S.-C. & Snell, S. A. 2007. Human resource management and ambidextrous learning: The mediating effects of intellectual capital. Wharton Macro-HR conference, Philadelphia, PA. USA
- Kang, S.-C. 2007. Boundaryless careers and knowledge creation. Korea Academy of Management, Seoul, Korea.
- Kang, S.-C. 2006. Intellectual capital architecture and bilateral learning. Korean Association of Personnel Administration, Seoul, Korea.
- Kang, S.C., & Snell, S. A. 2005. Managing intellectual capital architectures: HRM and bilateral learning in law firms. the Academy of Management Conference. Honolulu, HI.
- Kang, S.-C. 2004. Human resource flexibility and organizational learning: Implications for HRM. Academy of Management Conference. New Orleans, LA.
- Kang, S.-C., Morris, S. S., & Snell, S. A., 2003. Managing social relationships for knowledge-based competition. Academy of Management Conference. Seattle, WA.
- Kang, S.-C., Snell, S. A., & Morris, S. S. 2003. Extending the HR architecture: Relational archetypes and knowledge management. Global Issues in HRM conference. Ithaca, NY.
- Kang, S.-C., Collins, C. J., Snell, S. A., & Morris, S. S. 2002. Social capital-enhancing human resource management: Exploring a relationship between HRM, social capital, and competitive advantage. the Academy of Management Conference. Denver, CO.
- Morris, S. S., Snell, S. A., Collins, C. J., & Kang, S.-C. 2002. Putting “knowledge” into “worker”: Managing social capital to facilitate knowledge exchange between employees. Academy of Management Conference. Denver, CO.
- Rosen, D., & Kang, S.-C. 2002. Organizational communication networks: new methods and future directions. the International Sunbelt Social Network Conference. New Orleans, LA.
- Rosen, D., Kang, S.-C., & Krikorian, D. 2001. Simmelian ties, structural holes, and degree centrality in organizations: Applications of Schwartz’ liaison communication data. International Communication Association Conference, Washington, D.C.